This week's topic, Top Ten Most Intimidating Books, is one that really made me come to terms with why I haven't started certain books. Some of these books I've purchased, but they're sitting on my shelves, getting looked over again and again. Others are ones I've been keeping my eyes on, but I can't seem to bring myself to buy/borrow it. Some intimidate me by their sheer mass, others have content that make me squeamish.
Regardless of why I find them intimidating, here are ten of the books I can't bring myself to read just yet:
1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - I hear about this book all the time at work. People are always asking for it, it's always on reading lists and I'm always walking by it, wondering if I should pick it up. I never do, though. It deals with some serious subject matter and I'm just too scared to read it, to be honest.
2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - I have a feeling this one will make me come close to tears. I hate crying, so I've avoided it mostly because I don't want it to make me cry.
3. Before I Die by Jenny Downham - I just don't know how if I can handle this book, either. It might be too sad! I really am intimidated by serious, sad stories... no matter how amazing it sounds.
4. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - This is another book that I haven't read yet, simply because I'm afraid it will be heartbreaking. I saw an interview with Ruta where she talks about it, though, and it just looks so good! Hopefully I'll be able to read it soon... just not now.
5. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Another book that I think will make me sad. I don't like reading sad books, but pretty much everyone I know has said how amazing this book is. Le sigh... eventually.
6. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson - Why haven't I read this yet? Because I'm a huge chicken baby that can't handle scary things. This book intimidates me because I've heard it's uber creepy. Yikes!
7. The Diviners by Libba Bray - This book looks so amazing... but it's HUGE! Did you see how thick that spine is? Ginormous! I seriously haven't started this one because it's such a thick book.
8. Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - This series is hugely popular and it seems I can't go anywhere without hearing it mentioned. My brother keeps telling me to read it and it does sound great... it's just that not only is the series huge, but each book is quite large, too!
9. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness - I wanted to read this so bad, but when I saw how thick it was (with small print, too!)... well, let's just say that it hasn't moved off the shelf.
and last but not least...
10. Anything New Adult - I'll admit it, I can't bring myself to read any new adult books. I'm intimidated by the content. I was excited when I heard about this new genre featuring characters in that stage of life between adolescence and adulthood. I mean, that's around my age! Then I kept hearing it called "smut fiction"... so yeah, I don't know if I can read it.
What books intimidate you? Are any of these books not as intimidating as I think they are? Let me know in the comments below!
For those wishing to see what this meme is all about, either click on the banner above or go HERE.